I often miss the hills and dales of the north of England but today I revelled in the joys of the East Bedfordshire/West Cambridgeshire countryside.  It was one of those perfect autumn afternoons. The sky was blue and dotted with fluffy clouds and I decided that I really should get out of the house and move!  I drove the three miles to the nearby hamlet of Cockayne Hatley, parked the car and set off towards the Cambridgeshire border.  The landscape is very open and gently undulating, not quite the flatness of the Fens. The large fields are separated with hedgerows and small copses and the paths well trodden and dry. 





It felt good to stride out with not another soul in sight. On rounding a corner the gentle breeze died away and there was a palpable stillness punctuated with birdsong.  The hedges were rich in berries; blue sloes, red rose hips and the last blackberries still sweet and asking to be picked.



























I now have OS maps on my phone so decided to take a slightly different route this time following the path to East Hatley and deciding to wander up to the old St Denis Church. I had memories of going here many years ago and seeing what could be described as a ruin, covered in ivy and looking very forgotten. However, the sight which greeted me today was very different: a pretty, restored church, albeit locked!  I discovered that the original church had been built over 800 years ago and in the 1980s and 90s had been on the brink of being allowed to crumble. However, as the building was in the hands of Cambridgeshire Council and was grade 2 listed it seems they had a duty of care. They took on the task of restoration and in 2016 the ownership passed to a group called ‘Friends of Friendless Churches.’  It would seem that although there is still work to do the bulk has been completed and in due course this church might well provide a space for concerts, classes or other community events.





East Hatley is a curious little place consisting of one street lined with a variety of largely modern houses and this little church. I wandered down to the main road turning left at the end towards Hatley St George. A handful of cars passed but otherwise I felt to have the road to myself. After about a mile I turned left to complete the circle. Just alongside an old wall there was a bench. I sat, took off my shoes and socks to let my feet get the air and bathed in the afternoon sun. A perfect moment.  About half a mile from the car I began to approach a figure just turning to return to the village with his dog, a small golden Labrador. The dog spotted me and decided I was of interest. Leaving his owner he trotted my way giving me a warm greeting and staying by my side as I walked back. The walk ended with some pleasant conversation about the character of Harley the dog! I was delighted to see I had walked over six miles and would be entirely deserving of a cup of tea and a piece of cake when I got home.

Comments

Popular Posts